Monday, June 16, 2008


SIXTH ENTRY: Our food portions are out of control in this country. Restaurants no long serve anything on a normal-sized plate. more than likely, the size of the plate that arrives with your entree is nearer that of a 10" charger or even a platter. It has gotten ridiculous folks and we have to get back to recognizing what proper portions look like. We can't count on the restaurants to do this for us.

It's up to us because restaurants are in the business of selling food. Food, by the way, is the cheapest item on a restaurant's budget, so it costs them very little to put a double helping of everything on your plate. They think if we see we're getting more for our money, we'll come back. And they're right. Most of us do. But in the long run, we're not saving money when we have to buy a wardrobe in a bigger size every season! That's where the right equipment comes in.

A good kitchen scale and accurate measuring cups and spoons go a long way to helping us determine how much we should be eating compared to what we really are consuming. Once you've got that picture in your head, you'll more readily see that restaurant portion of mac and cheese is closer to 2 cups and not the 1/2 cup portion that's normal. This all goes hand in hand with the calorie counter book.

You will want to know if that fillet of salmon is three or four ounces in order to calculate the calories. Or how much a one-ounce, sometimes referred to as a 'handful,' of almonds really looks like. There are a number of kitchen scales on the market, but do yourself a favor and invest in one that gives results in both ounces and grams. The Saltar brand scale I have even measures liquids in both fluid ounces and milliliters. It has been invaluable when pouring up that occasional glass of wine or milk. Your scale should also have what's called a tare setting. that will allow you to zero out the scale with a container placed, allowing you to weigh only the food and not the container.

When it comes to measuring cups, there are two kinds. you should have both. The nesting cups in graduated sizes are for dry ingredients such as flour, nuts, sugar, etc. Don't bother measuring liquids in these cups as they might not be accurate for that. instead,
get a good glass measuring cup that has the measurements marked on the side for reading at eye level. Both Pyrex and Anchor Hocking make sturdy accurate measuring cups.

No comments: